First United Methodist Church, Grenada, MS
161 South Line St, Grenada, Mississippi 38901 - PH. (662) 226-3148 FAX. (662) 226-3162
Interested in learning
more about FUMC?
About First United Methodist Church
- Salvation is by faith, not works, BUT the kind of faith that is saving always brings good works with it to the party. It's not enough to just Believe-we also have to Behave!
- Faith is related to Reason, Methodists believe that Science and Theology can work and play well together. We don't check our brains at the door of the Sanctuary.
- Once saved, always saved? is a doctrine in many churches, but not in the Methodist Church. We believe we are all equally in need of God's Grace, and that we never reach a point where we have got it made with God?.
- God's Grace. Let the other churches focus on making us feel guilty and worthless. Methodists focus instead on the positive point of God's amazing Grace, wherein He gives us what we don't deserve!
- The infallibility of Scripture. We believe the Scriptures contain all knowledge necessary for salvation. However, it also contains a lot of other stuff, most of which is necessary to lead a really abundant life in the here and now.
- Infant Baptism. Yes, we baptize infants. No, we don't apologize for it. Yes, it's Scriptural. No, the child doesn't ask for it. Yes, it's a huge charge on the parents, family, and congregation. Later, the child will go through Confirmation classes (at about age 12), and then decide whether or not to profess Jesus as his or her Savior.
- Rebaptism. It's not necessary, and we don't do it. God meant it the first time, even if you didn't.
- Holy Communion. It's not just snacks in church! It's a means of Grace where we celebrate the horizontal relationship with each other, and the vertical relationship we have with God. And where does the Horizontal meet the Vertical? At the Cross!
- Sanctification, or Salvation by Process. Salvation for Methodists is a life long process, not an event.
- We are connected. Every Methodist church is connected to every other Methodist church worldwide.
Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yolk is easy and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30 NRSV